mk1 factory sunroof owners, a question for you...

There really isn't much of anything to see under the
headliner.  My roof has been beat on a bit, and the
one reinforcing rail isn't even bonded to the roof
skin.  My headliner has been missing for 7 years, let
me know if you want some pics.

--- Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:
> David Utley wrote:
>
> > Are there reinforcements in the roof or elsewhere
> in the body that
> > help offset the fact that there is a hole in the
> roof?
>
> I have never looked under the headliner to see.  I'm
> sure there's a
> little more metal, but nothing that would save your
> life.
>
> Obligatory pic with no more info:
> http://s94043504.onlinehome.us/scirocco/snrf.jpg
>
> The area has its own hard-underneath headliner so
> you can't feel
> anything through it.  The fabric has come unglued
> from the hard stuff
> and looks all saggy-baggy.  Kinda like old people.
>
> > The reason I ask, is I am contemplating putting a
> sunroof in my
> > pickup, and I would like to know if there is a
> need for some
> > reinforcement (after all, it is much shorter a
> roof than the
> > 'roc...)...
>
> Aftermarket snurfs would come with a frame anyway.
> Adding metal
> reinforcing that you cut out of the hole would
> probably not change the
> bend/crush/twist characteristics of the roof very
> much.  IOTW: The PU's
> roof is as strong as the A&B-pillars, not the cheesy
> reinforcement in
> the roof (if there is any) that would be made
> stronger by the addition
> of the frame anyway.
>
> Any other owners out there or am I the only one?

=====
Mad Matt
Annapolis, MD
'81 Scirocco (now with ABA-powered goodness)
'04 Toyota Tacoma (little red wagon for hauling Scirocco stuffs)
gone but not missed: '98 Jetta GLS (soul-less, boring commuter shitbox)