Re: identifying marks, enigine/Tranny..

Well, I don't know if it's a shitload, but, the 1.6 with the older style
exhaust manifold actually put out a few more horsepower than the 1.7.  The
1.7 should feel a little torquier (is that a word?) than the 1.6 because of
the longer stroke.  To look for the "H", it's on the backside of the block by
the firewall.  A 1.6 will have a big "1.6" stamped on it and the 1.7 will
have an "H".  Since it says 1.6 on the head, it's probably a 1.6, I don't
think the 1.7 head had any such markings on it other than the part # and "VW
Germany" on it.

Maybe you got super lucky and you got a 1.6 with the European "Heron" style
GTI head...THAT would have a shitload of power...along the lines of 110 HP or
so.

Tom